Skip to main content

tv   Prime News  HLN  March 24, 2010 5:00pm-7:00pm EDT

5:00 pm
police say a teen boy sent rage-filled text messages to his friends telling them he was going to attack a girl he never met. yet not a single person warned cops. a 15-year-old, the girl, still in a coma fighting for her life and no one cared enough to try and protect her? mom is furious saying a high school helped her daughter get an abortion during school hours and no one told her about it. mom says they put her 15-year-old in a taxi, alone,
5:01 pm
and sent her off to terminate her pregnancy. this is a life-changing decision for a 15-year-old. shouldn't parents have a right to know what's going on with their kid? you are a huge part of the show. love hearing from you, always. you know the number, 1-877-tell-hln. you can e-mail us cnn.com/primenews, join us on facebook or text us on hln tv. all you have to do is start your message with the word "prime." it's your chance to be heard. welcome. this is "prime news." i'm mike galanos. we have chilling texts, just revealed in the beating of that eighth grade girl we have told you about. police say a 15-year-old boy is accused of brutally beating josie ratley. he texted friends and told them of intentions to kill her yet not one, not one, warned the authorities. here's what police say he texted the victim in this alleged text message war, quote, i'm coming
5:02 pm
over there and i'm going to snap your neck. that was before the attack after school that day. listen to the broud county sheriff speaking on nbc's "today show." >> we've all dealt with road rage in the past and now have text rage. it's just got to stop somewhere. >> he's right. it does have to stop and he's right about the text rage. let's get back to basics. a 15-year-old barely hanging on in a medically induced coma. that's how serious this has gotten. something has to be done. we'll take your calls, your thoughts on this, your questions, 1-877-tell-hln's the number. joining me to talk about this welcome back diana moskovitz covering this since the beginning from the "miami harold" also mary some j jo rapini, starting with what the sheriff is saying. this is about a texting rage. i think he's right. i mean, if you think about this kid, it's happened with other cases we've covered, some kid is typing on this screen, texting away. and this rage is fueling onto the screen. by the time he's done typing,
5:03 pm
he's not thinking about josie as a person, a potential victim. it's a nameless, faceless thing that is now the object of his rage. >> that's right. you know, what's happening right now is these kids aren't well parented at home. many times, these kids are exposed, boys in partular, to their models are abusive, they are hurting their moms, 51% of all kids are raised in a single-parent home now and i think this child was one that had a step-dad. but there's so many boyfriends raising boys that don't know how to raise them and the schools have no idea how to handle texting and bullying. they understand the concept of bullying, but they are not able to talk about texting and bullying and it's a whole other sgloo . >> it is. again, you'll text things and e-mail things you would never say in person where you get that face-to-face interaction with somebody you know what you are saying is hurting them. >> absolutely.
5:04 pm
. one thing that keeps kids under control is peer pressure. but if you are texting or you're e-mailing violence to another person that you're going to do them, there's nobody to hold you accountable. it's between you and the victim. and this girl probably had no experience with texting ragers and didn't know what was -- she probably thought he was just blowing hot air. and he sure wasn't. >> let's read that text once again from the alleged attacker to the victim writing i'm coming over there and i'm going to snap your neck. the way the story goes, mary jo, three-mile bike ride after that. and that's fueling his anger, right, spinning in his head what he's going to do? >> exactly. exactly. the whole time he is thinkg about what he's going to do, getting angrier and hot and sweaty, his pulse rate is going up, he's ready to explode. >> did he text other friends? we believe de, telling them his intentions. do we know how many friends and
5:05 pm
what their reaction was. >> he texted other people. we don't know exactly how many that is. but, we do know that other people were aware that he was upset, that he was angry, that he was going to do something. but, apparently they may not have spoken out, at least not to the authorities. >> they were upset but nobody decided to try and intervene here. >> i don't think -- >> no. >> no. >> i don't think thee understand how dangerous -- i think they are just used to kids talking and they don't know what they should take serious. the schools don't, either. you know, i'm hearing more parents say we need a program in the school then you have to find somebody that understands texting and bullying and is able to express it to moms and dads and the kids. >> yeah. you make a good point, mary jo, what's a 14 or 15-year-old going to do who sees this. you would hope they would do something but asking a lot for a young boy or girl to step up and try to intervene in a case like this. amy with us from i can kip. good ahead. >> caller: yes, i'm just calling
5:06 pm
because i have a 14-year-old and all this texting garbage that's been going on this horrible stuff lately, you know, when we ordered my son's cell phone, we enabled texting. he cannot text. he cannot send pictures. he cannot, if it's not on there, they're not able to do it. >> so it's phone call only for you guys. >> caller: you got it, emergency phone calls to mom and dad. >> nice move, amy. i think that's what we have to do as parents, take drastic steps. real quick diana, any change in josie's condition? >> still critical at this point. >> still critical. >> yeah. >> doctors are still hopeful, though? >> still hopeful. they said early on she's young, she's a child and with children, they always have hope. so, there's still hope but still a long ways to go. >> okay. >> just a psychological repercussions, how is she ever going to -- i mean, she's looking at years and years of therapy and that family is looking at years and years of
5:07 pm
therapy and post traumatic, you know, stress. >> we hear the pain in their voices. the mom, they have spoken out. i can't believe we're saying this, there's been another attack, another beating in orida, this time a 14-year-old boy is accused of repeatedly punching his 12-year-old ex-girlfriend in the face. >> to see a domestic violence situation at such a young age is a concern. obviously, that'll be up to the courts to decide exactly how that's handled.
5:08 pm
5:09 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. we have another, i can't believe i'm saying this, another brutal teen beating this time at a
5:10 pm
hollywood, florida middle school. the teen-aged victim says it started because she broke up with her 14-year-old boyfriend. >> i had told him that i don't want to be with him anymore and then he was screaming and stuff and that's when this morning we went on the bus and then i was like you never going to change or whatever, whatever. and then he hit me. >> hit her reportedly several times. what is going on here? taking your comments, your questions, your calls, 1-877-tell-hln. couple of facebooks, many weighing in david writes it's a lack of empathy for others and a descentation to violence. well put there. the movies, video games, just all adds up on us. william writes blame the parents for lack of skills to raise proper kids. are parents dealing with the new-found feelings of violence we see with our teenagers. back with, mary jo rapin idrapi.
5:11 pm
and also diana moskovitz, back on this story, as well. is that what happened here? >> that's the way to sum it up, she told him she didn't want to be with him, he got upset. th were on the bus. the bus was actually pulling into the school in the area where all the school buses come in to drop off the children when he punched her in the face up to several times, fractured her nose then ran away. >> mary jo, what is going on here? now a 14-year-old punching his 12-year-old ex-girlfriend? what's adding up to this? >> very disturbing. what i'm believing is this boy is a batterer, abusive and probably this girl noted other times that he had hit her or screamed or hit the wall or was cruel to animals, those are all signs that you're with somebody who is abusive. and i -- what i'm telling
5:12 pm
parents to do in texas is to have some sort of a code with their child when their child is scared or upset someone is sending them inappropriate texts, they need to be able to get ahold of their parent, set up a password or something so that your child always has access to an adult. this 12-year-old, 12-year-olds are still playing. they are still -- >> i know it. >> -- in fantasy -- >> let me ask you real quick. is this an element to this that a 14-year-old and 12-year-old shouldn't be having any kind of relationship anyway that they can't handle the emotions? >> absolutely, absolutely, mike. i'm wondering what kind of parent would have allowed this relationship in the beginning. 12-year-olds are up and down. they are in a world where one weekend they are playing with barbies and the next weekend they are trying to get ready to go to a prom in the future. they have no -- no 12-year-old i know of is dating someone. and if they are, it's inappropriate. >> you're right. >> and those parents better get engaged. >> you nailed it, go from
5:13 pm
playing with barbies and the next being abused by a 14-year-old? >> exactly. why did she want to break up with him? the kid probably hurt her or she became afraid of the way he was treating her in the past. >> let's wake up, parents. do we really want our kids, i mean kids, in relationships at 12, 13 years old. >> it is crazy. >> i don't think they can handle it. guys, thanks so much. coming up ben roth lethlisberge won't be giving a dna sample. a woman claims he sexually assault the her at a nightclub. what does this mean for the case? >> in the developing world, most people with disabilities have to rely on their own power to travel from point a to proint b.
5:14 pm
may have to go off road long distances. using a conventional wheelchair with push rooms is pretty much impossible. so, what's required is something that you can travel long distances in rough terrain efficiently by just using your arms. the way this works is you have two levers that you propel yourself with so, to go through mud or go through sand, you grab high on the levers and produce a lot of leverage. as you slide your hand down, you create a greater rotational velocityhich makes the chair go fastster. you can take one to a rural village. if i guy knows how to fix bicycles, he knows how to fix these. we recently received $50,000 to take the next version to guatemala starting this summer to make 30 trial chairs which will be tested for a full year so. ideally after that year we'll get the feedback from the users and refine the design so it's ready for large-scale production and have a model we can distribute to any workshop and they can make it anywhere in the world.
5:15 pm
5:16 pm
5:17 pm
5:18 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. all right, enough is enough, what a family is saying in court, the seaworld trainer killed last month, too close to the whale when' tacked her. take another listen to the 911 call that tragic day. >> where is the patient located inside the park. >> they are at shamu stadium. we actually have a trainer in the water with one of our whales, the whale that they're not supposed to be in the water with. >> okay. >> so, we don't know what's going on. we were just told to call and have people on standby when they get the person out. >> it's terrible to listen to that and i believe it should end right there. why do people, the public, need to see that video. yes, seaworld needs to see it, experts need to see it to learn from it so there won't be this kind of mistake again. but, why do you and i need to see this? i mean, we don't need to see the death of dawn brancheau on
5:19 pm
video. right now a florida judge agrees granting a temporary injunction stopping the video's release. let's hope it stays that way. a woman is dead. this family has a right to privacy and to mourn. a lot of sickos might try to send it back to her family to inflict more pain. we hope it stays under wraps other than seaworld and experts seeing this. if you want to comment go to our facebook page. now this story an attorney for ben roethlisberger say investigators in georgia have withdrawn their request for a dna sample, accused of sexually assaulting a woman aa nightclub in march but police say they don't need his dna because there is none to compare. is that it, not enough evidence, is he off the hook? what does this me for the case, i know that's your question? if you have more, call in, 1-877-tell-hln. back with us to talk about it former prosecutor, criminal defense attorney mark eiglarsh.
5:20 pm
roethlisberger's attorney saying no dna. what more do you know, carl? is that where it stas on that front? >> it was corroborated they did not need his dna, because there was nothing with which to compare. the young woman was treated at the hospital and they did a lot ofrime scene collection but found there was no evidence in the case. so far, they have also filed no search warrants seeking any evidence like that, clothing or anything like this. >> mark, what do you make of this? they withdraw the request for dna. does that mean weak case or not? what do you make of this? >> it might be the exact same reason why you don't dust for fingerprints when you know somebody was wearing gloves. why spend the money, time, and energy when you know there's no alleged dna on her or in her, depending on what the facts are, to then compare to roethlisberger? >> okay. so, that's one theory. any other --
5:21 pm
>> correct. >> -- thoughts on this about the dna? in the sense of what it means for the case, weak or strong for the prosecution? >> i've got many thoughts. how much time have you got? one may just -- may just be -- >> uh-oh. >> right. right. one of the theories may just be if you are ben's camp, hopefully, they find the victim is not credible, they don't have sufficient evidence. and it's just any moment they are going to announce they are not going to go forward there, is no sense spending the time, energy, money to secure dna, that's what you are hoping if you are with the defense camp. >> carl, what's the latest on the investigation? i think many wonder has ben roethlisberger talked to investigators a second time. >> he has not talked to investigators yet. investigators say they still want to talk to him. but, he and his attorney have not sat down with them to discuss any of this. so, they continue with the investigation. theris a full-time team from the georgia bureau of investigation that's meeting on the edge of milledgeville continuing to do this full time. >> okay. we'll continue this
5:22 pm
conversation. i know viewers want to know if he is getting special treatment because he is ben roethlisberger. we'll pick up the conversation there. stay with us.
5:23 pm
5:24 pm
5:25 pm
5:26 pm
5:27 pm
5:28 pm
5:29 pm
5:30 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. this story shocked me. i want to know what you think, a mother near seattle, washington says the school's health center set up, facilitated her 15-year-old daughter's abortion and without her knowing anything about it. so, mom sends her daughter to school, thinks she's in class, math, science, instead, she's being put in a taxi and shipped off for an abortion. this mom is furious. here's lisa jaffe from our affiliate komo.
5:31 pm
>> reporter: these books belong to an honor ll student who didn't tell her mom about her morning sickness. >> she took a pregnancy test at school at the teen health center. >> the mom, we'll call jill, gave consent for her daughter to use the services of the ballard teen health center on campus. >> nowhere in this paperwork does it mention abortion or facilitating abortions. >> reporter: she says her daughter who is pro-life, was given a pass, left school alone in a taxi, had an abortion at another location and didn't tell her family. >> we had no idea that this was being facilitated on campus. they just told her that, if she concealed it from her family, would be free of charge and there would be no financial responsibility. >> reporter: the seattle school district wouldn't comment on camera. they don't run the clinics at high schools. swedish medical center runs the one at ballard and protects the student's privacy. >> signing this paper makes me feel my rights were stripped away. >> reporter: he says the clinic
5:32 pm
staff did nothing illegal. he says it is always best if parents are involved in their children's health care but says they don't always have a say. >> at any age in the state of washington, a individual can consent to a termination of a pregnancy. >> thanks again to our "prime news" affiliate in seattle for that. hln reached out to the school and the health center. neither got back us to. want to hear from you, your thoughts, 1-877-tell-hln. joining us to talk about this our attorney based in washington state, anne bremner, former prosecutor. this strikes me so wrong, talking about a 15-year-old girl. >> right. >> put in a taxi. by the way the 15-year-old girl is pro-life. her mom is pro-choice. her mom should have been in on this, to leave a 15-year-old alone in a taxi like that, they could have had the conversation, they come at it from bothsides. she needed mom. we shouldn't be undermining a parent's right and cutting them out of a life-changing decision like this. i just think it is so wrong.
5:33 pm
>> it is so wrong, i agree you with. the fact you need consent to give her an aspirin or treated for flu symptoms but this consent form doesn't say the "a" word abortion but talks about all kinds of things and keep in mind, mike, the consent form is school-based consen so, i could go on and on but think about this, schools acting -- as a parent and school attendance compulsory with much higher duty to this child and her family to send her off in a cab by herself to have an abortion and not say anything. they would call her in if she missed class. >> you mentioned you need parental consent for vaks nak vaccinations, to open a bank account, to see than "r" rated movie and we'll cut mom and dad out of this? >> people are outraged out here. if you asked 99 people -- or 100 people on the street, 99 would say this is outrageous.
5:34 pm
where did the school get this wrong, mike? saying, oh, well, she has the right under washington law, under initiative 121, does not have parental consent. that begs the issue, as a school-based clinic. >> first off who is in trouble, the school or the teen health center or both. >> both but really the school. >> okay. >> because the school, they are working with the clinic but they are still a school. a schools a school is a school. the district has a responsibility to its students and the fact of the matter is to say, you know, we looked at state law and it's okay, it's not okay when they're complicit and they don't get the requisite consent. >> you mentioned -- as a parent, that's who you trust, the school. >> a public school, y give your children up to the school every day, you have to. >> okay. and you mentioned it. and the mom mentioned it, i believe, as well, on this consent form because mom's okay, even with her daughter getting birth control at the school. >> right. >> but abortio is not mentioned. how much trouble is this school or the health center or both with that fact out there? >> well, you know, i can tell you, i have sued the school
5:35 pm
district on behalf of sex abuse victims where someone was a pedophile for 30 years, molesting fifth grade girls and nobody said anything. it took a parent to find it out. schools have to be so careful to protect children. abortion is a pretty short word. you talked about any type of treatment for prenatal or in terms of, you know, sexual health are longer words. can you put abortion on it? yes, you can. did they? no. the fact of the matter they said that paragraph would basically address this, i think, is just so wrong and that's why it's so outrageous to so many people, mike. >> bruce is with us in wisconsin. your thoughts on this? >> caller: yes, i am. >> go ahead. >> caller: i think the school and the state of wisconsin is wrong -- or washington is ong. as far as i know here in the state of wisconsin, this would not have happened. i know the clinics in my area, a child at 15 years of age has to ha a parent with them to come in. and this is sickening me that,
5:36 pm
you know, the school allowed this to happen. >> you know, again, we reached out to the school, the teen health center, wanted to get their side. did not get back to us. let me get a couple facebooks, in support of the school. renee writes, laws were not broken, mom will get over it. linda writes, it's sad she felt she couldn't go to her parents to help her and bethany writes if she found a confidant in e school, not her mom, then so be it. you know, i hear that argument, anne, but again this is a 15-year-old. >> right. >> and i believe mom and dad should be in on a conversation like ts, especially an abortion that's not mentioned on this document. >> exactly. and it is the school, it's the school, it's the school. if she went out and had an abortion without parental consent under different circumstances we wouldn't have this issue but dealing with a public school and they put her in a cab to get it and it's not in the form we live and die by contracts. this one doesn't indicate abortion is one of the items for which the family and she had consented. >> anne, always good talking with you. >> great to talk with you.
5:37 pm
thanks. coming up is greed really tearing two sisters apart? both ladies in their 80s. there they are. they've been close for seven decades now a half million dollar powerball jackpot is dividing them, dividing their family. hey, the love of money is the root of all evil, huh?
5:38 pm
5:39 pm
5:40 pm
you know, it is said the love of money is the root of all evil. two sisters are fighting over a half million dollar lottery jackpot. look at them. one is 84. her sister is 87. they were great friends. seven decades together. they loved to gamble together and drew up a contract vowing to split all winnings, in 1995. in 2004 they had a fight over a
5:41 pm
$250 loan and stopped talking. a year later, rose and her brother hit the jackpot. teresa finds out about it and calls up and says, hey, i want my half. she said we have a contract, rose says, no, you're not getting a dime. now a judge will decide. what do you think who should get the money? call in 1-877-tell-hln. back with us, former prosecutor criminal defense attorney mark eiglarsh and defense attorney holly hughes. teresa wants her share. they have a written contract. doesn't she have a good case? >> i think she does. the first thing is, i found out both women were born in a small town called bitterville. >> you're kidding. come on. >> no, i made that up. i don't do research for this show. mike, my point is that these women obviously at their mature age have not learn that somehow, money is not as significant as an important significant relationship with
5:42 pm
your sibling. i do believe she's got a shot. they did come up with a contract. there doesn't seem to be significant evidence that both parties withdrew from the agreement. if one party tearing it up, that doesn't make it law. if that was the case i'd rip up my mortgage right now and tell the wife the great news. >> that's what's so sad. let me make that point quickly and i'll get holly n. $250 was the root of this argument, separation and now this fight we are talking about. you hear their story when rose had heart surgery who visited every day? teresa. when teresa needed help putting kids through college, who helped? rose. even teresa said i love my sister but obviously they are divided. who has the better case. >> i have to go with the lady who wants the money. the same thing mark just said, you have a contract with somebody tearing it up doesn't matter. say you have a fight with your wife tomorrow, okay, she looks at you and says i want a divorce, i want a divorce and you go, that's fine with me. does that mean you are divorced
5:43 pm
mike? of course not. you can't say something and think it is all done. papers have to be signed. it has to be modified in writing if the contract was made in writing originally. you need to find out about that. i'm with mark. really if you could nullify a contract by tearing it up, let me go now i'm going to call macy's and mazda and a couple other people and saying guess what i'm really mad at you and i'm going to tear this up and there won't be money forthcoming. >> the arguments the oral rescission because of this verbal argument over the phone and rose, who won it, says teresa said i'm done, i don't want to be your partner anymore, rose says fine, rips up the contract, where they are coming up. >> i don't think that will hold weight in a court of law. you have to have, in crat law, a meeting of the minds which means both parties have to agree what were you doing. the fact they were mad at each other and threw a couple angry words like a couple of 5-year-olds. am not, am to, buggar. that's how i'm looking at. >> however, a judge, if they wanted to rule, it was the other
5:44 pm
way, could say that, at that moment, although both angry, they had a meeting of the minds and both said to each other, yeah, i'm done with you! we're not -- forget that contract. i don't want to share anything you with. that's it. and later, one hits the jackpot. >> right. >> spend that money on a spirituality course or something. >> right. >> it is absolutely possible. a judge can say anything they want quite frankly, that's why you go to them, their sandbox and they get to be right. whatever you say you are going to put your argument out and rose will put up an argument and teresa another. technically they could find an oral rescission. >> we have to run. i hope they split it three ways, get the brother in and everybody gets a little over $100,000 after taxes. >> sure. >> the two lawyers po-pooing my judgeship. thanks a lot. coming up as we turn on a dime, secret files detailing years of abuse within the boy scouts of america uncovered. attorneys for alleged victims cry "cover up!"
5:45 pm
>> i'm ali velshi with "making cents" helping you navigate a tough economy. jose writes on facebook many consumer credit commercials are telling people they can lower or, in some cases, wipe out the high interest and/or money owed banks for credit cards. are these legitimate claims? would it hurt more than help. how would it hurt? excellent question. you cannot wipe out your debt. unless you go into bankruptcy. by the way, even if you file for bankruptcy, it doesn't wipe out all of your debt. a lot of companies offer to consolidate your debt. what they do, they get you to make payments to them and then they negotiate lower ierest payments with your creditors. the problem is, they may tell you to stop making payments to your creditors and until a deal is negotiated, those missed payments affect your credit score bringing it down. be cautious about looking at credit counseling or credit consolidation companies that are for-profit. there are a lot of good not-for-profit organizations. call your state and ask for those ones that are recommended
5:46 pm
by them. credit counselling is a good idea. it can negotiate and reduce the interest you pay. anybody who tells you they can totally wipe out your debt is leading you down the wrong path. we love hearing from you. e-mail questions at cnn.com/primenews. give us your questions on our "prime news" facebook page, text us at hln tv and start your message with the word "prime" or submit your question on ireport. i'm ali velshi.
5:47 pm
5:48 pm
5:49 pm
a parent alert on "prime news," disturbing allegations of a sex abuse cover-up within the boy scouts. some uncovered archived documents seem to allege documented abuse of young boys and may have been swept under the rug for decades. here's brian todd from our sister network, cnn. >> reporter: as it marks a century of molding the character and morality of young men, ts is another image the boy scouts of america must deal with, a convicted sex offender's deposition in open court charging the scouts organization engaged in a culture of coverup. how they hanltd tdled the case former scout leader at the center of an explosive lawsuit in portland, oregon. an attorney represents six men suing the boy scouts alleging
5:50 pm
the organization knew at least one had been abused. >> when they knew this, the evidence will be, was in january 1983, before [ bleep ] was abused. >> reporter: cnn and the openin statement. we could not get similar documents from the defense. in court the scout's organization says they didn't know about his prior record and outstanding warrant until he was pulled over in a routine traffic stop. >> that bench warrant was not known, and nobody followed up on it until after mr. dykes was pulled over on the way to tillamook with several scout boys. >> reporter: they say that the scouts acted immediately and cooperated with police. but the man says he produced documents that were part of an archive of secret boy scout
5:51 pm
files that chronicled abuse of boy scouts for decades. contacted by cnn, boy scouts of america did not respond specifically to the organization. he says that the organization does have confidential files to protect information about people who are ineligible to be scout leaders but who may have not done anything illegal. i spoke about that with patrick boil, authoof a book about sexual abuse in the boy scouts. what about the book that these files have confidential information that involve people who are not involved in the cases. >> they absolutely do, which is when these files were made public, the scouts blacked out the names of every victim and molester and turned the files over. so there is a way to make the files public. >> reporter: more details could be made public as the trial progresses. while not commenting on the case a spokesman for the boy scouts of america said in recent years, they have taken extensive
5:52 pm
measures to keep abusers out. brian todd, cnn, washington. more on this topic coming up. stay with us. dddddddddd
5:53 pm
5:54 pm
5:55 pm
5:56 pm
5:57 pm
5:58 pm
5:59 pm
6:00 pm
-- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com police say a teen boy sent chilling, rage-filled text messages to his friends telling them he was going the attack a girl he had never met. yet, not a single person warned cops or tried to intervene. of course now we know a 15-year-old girl, still in a coma fighting for her life. no one cared enough to try and protect her. mom is furious saying a high
6:01 pm
school helped her daughter get an abortion during school hours and no one told her about it. mom says they put her 15-year-old in a taxi, alone, and sent her off to terminate her pregnancy. this is a life-changing decision for a 15-year-old. shouldn't parents have a right to know what's going on with their kid? you know the number, 1-877-tell-hln. you can e-mail us cnn.com/primenews, join us on facebook or text us on hln tv. all you have to do is start your message with the word "prime." it's your chance to be heard. welcome. this is "prime news." this is hour number two. i'm mike galanos. we have set it out for you. we have chilling texts, just revealed in the beating of that eighth grade girl we have told you about. police say a 15-year-old boy is accused of brutally beating josie ratley. he texted friends and told them of intentions to kill her yet not one, not one, warned the authorities. here's what police say he texted to josie, the victim, quote, i'm coming over there and i'm going
6:02 pm
the snap your neck." that is before the attack after school. this is just into us, because we are getting a glimpse of the terrifying moments after the tack. here is part of the 911 call. >> 911, what is your emergency? >> we have -- this is deerfield beach middle, and i don't know but we have a call already came in that a student is unconscious from another student through a battery. i also need police immediately, because i have a high school student that actually created the injury to the child. >> is he in the office? >> he is in my office area, the front office. >> put your phone down. put your phone down now! >> how frightening is that, because there are reports that he texted in a very matter of fact way after the attack. the 15-year-old as we mentioned, josie is barely hanging on in a medically-induced coma. that is how serious this is. we are taking your calls at
6:03 pm
1-877-tell-hln. back with us is diana moscovitz, and mary jo rapini. what is the latest condition of josie, diane? >> well, she is in critical condition in broward medical center in downtown ft. lauderdale and a lot of feeks wishing and praying for her. >> yes, a couple of days ago the doctors said they felt good about her, and are they still optimistic? >> we haven't heard otherwise. it has still been a few days, and this could be a long road and so far, we have not heard anything to make us think that there is no reason to not be optimistic. >> our thoughts and prayers are with her here on prime news. mary jo, we have talked about in the last hour and worth mentioning again, the sheriff trying to make sense of this, talking about really texting rage that was coming from this alleged attacker and happens with other kids as well, and maybe the beatings in those other stories weren't as bad as this, and again, a near-death
6:04 pm
beating. but let me read the text again that he told her that he texted the victim, i'm coming over there and i'm going to snap your neck and then jumped on his bike and three-mile ride and even put on steel towed boots in the midst of that, and what happened with this kid as it is unfolding, mary jo? >> this is all premeditated and i'm convinced that the kid is raised with abuse in his family and this is unlike a normal healthy boy of this age to think like this and to use those kinds of words, he is watching stuff and hearing it. also, if i were a parent, and i had a kid in that middle school, you can bet i'd get action. i would start forming groups. i would take it to the school. i would demand that someone be brought in that can talk about bullying and texting. there has to be a plan. >> there has to be. well, let's talk about that, diana. how is the school reacting? because this is the same school, same area where michael brewer
6:05 pm
was set on fire and we know his injuries were life-threatening, and he is still recovering. how is the community dealing with all of this? >> the community i think is still just absorbing everything, but i will point out what happened with michael brewer it happened after school got out, and off campus, so they are different especially in terms of the action by teachers and michael brewer was attacked off campus. >> yes, maybe circumstances and the school involvement, but the theme is the same though, we are talking about kids, 14, 15 years old doing things that are deadly and ultraviolet, which is so frightening, mary jo, when we see this. why is there no restraint? what is going on with these kids? >> well, i think that for one thing, there is no parent involvement. you know, you don't raise kids like this, if you are engaged with their family. 51% of all families are raised by single women. now, one single-parent, and
6:06 pm
usually the woman, and youp find with incidents like this, there is a boyfriend or stepdad whose best interest is not parenting that child. many times the woman will have boyfriend, and she wants to keep him around, because he helps to pay with the rent and take care of the kids, but these boys need models. it does partly have to do with the school, because the kids are meeting each other in the school, and hearing about it and think it is cool. they are violent kids. the more they can form a coalition with other kids who are angry, who are bullies, the more you are going to see this kind of thing happen, whether it is off campus or on campus isn't the question. the question is, what are the parents going to do? and what are the parents going to insist be done at school? i'd say no text phones. >> yeah, we had a caller last hour who said she got her kid a phone with no pictures or
6:07 pm
texting, but just numbers. let's talk about the alleged attacker, in and out of jail, and a brother who committed suicide was the father figure for him, right? >> yes. his defense lawyer says he definitely looked up to his older brother, and obviously when the older brother committed suicide that was very difficult for him, and a few folks who have talked to him said he certainly seemed to be a different person after that happened. >> let's get a call in. adrian who is there? kathy in michigan. your thoughts here. >> caller: hi, mike, i love your show and i watch everyday. my comment to this is that i feel that the young man that did this, no matter and i know he may have had family problems and i think that the parents should have been responsible in getting him the help he needed, and i also feel that he should be penalized for the maximum in the juvenile system, and i also
6:08 pm
think that the parents should be held responsible also. >> let's talk about that, also. mary jo, when you look at this, how much of a factor was this, because as we gather josie may have texted him about his brother's suicide which set him off. >> right. >> and our caller, kathy, points out, what help dd d didn -- wha did he get after the brother's suicide? >> well, that figures into it. it doesn't sound like he got counseling, because the parents sound disengaged with what is happening with this kid. but a child raised in two loving parents when the brother dies even if it is suicide, they won't think about snapping somebody's neck off. i mean, that is where this obvious that this child is disturbed. he has problems, and i don't know what he is witnessing at home, but 90% of all abusers grew up in abuse. that is the statistic. >> wow. >> so there is something
6:09 pm
happening in that home that needs to be dealt with. i am a parent, and i just -- >> okay. mary jo, a quick break because i can't say this, but we have another teen beating to deal with, and this time a 14-year-old boy accused of repeatedly punching his ex-girlfriend in the face? >> well, to see a domestic violence situation at a young age is a concern, obviously, that is up to the courts to decide exactly how that is handled.
6:10 pm
6:11 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. on this program we have a hert for children, for families, and we want to fight to keep families together, and we have been talking about trying to make sense of a brutal beating
6:12 pm
in florida where a 15-year-old boy is accused of nearly beating a 15-year-old girl to death, josie ratley and she is clinging to life. we want your comments on this. call 1-877-tell-hln. melissa in nevada, and your thoughts? >> caller: well, i wanted to say i have an 8-year-old and 9-year-old boy and girl and this is one of the biggest reasons i have chosen to home school them. you can't protect them forever, but this is one of the biggest things. >> yes. i can't blame you, and you know, in the formative years when you hear this. and melissa, we have another brutal teen beating on our hands and this time at a hollywood middle school, and this time a 14-year-old victim. they say it started because the girl broke up with the boyfriend. >> i told him that i didn't want to be with him anymore and he was screaming and stuff, and that is when this morning we went on the bus, and then i was like, you never going to change
6:13 pm
or whatever, whatever, and then he hit me. >> wow. you see that face. that is a 12-year-old kid dealing with adult-like abuse issues. look at the innocent face. take your calls, 1-877-tell-hln and we have psychotherapist mary jo rapini and diana moscovitz, and how is this girl, she broke her nose, right? >> it was a fracture to the nose and she was taken to a local hospital and treated and release. >> what about the 14-year-old, what charges is he facing? >> he is facing a charge of, i want to say a type of battery or assault, sorry, i don't want to get the charge wrong, but it was a type of battery or assault, and he was also charged basically for resisting, because he knew that the police were coming and ran away. >> mary jo, this is back to a point that you have made and i can't agree more how important it is for a son to have a father as a role model figure, where you are not going to see any of
6:14 pm
the behavior and we are not saying that the 14-year-old saw it, but may have when you are beating up on a 12-year-old exgirlfriend like that, this kid saw that? >> well, this kid saw that and most likely growing up in it. he cannot manage his feelings and he feels a certain way, and he thinks it is okay to hit or harm someone else. this kid probably has a history of being mean to animals, of hitting walls, of slamming doors of cursing, and the girl is only 12. she has no idea what these behaviors mean. she doesn't have the shodn't bed she is a girl. >> a 14-year-old and 12-year-old cannot handle these emotions like this obviously. >> i can't believe it. it is poor parenting at the best. and at worst, this kid needs to have, and this boy needs to be in a counseling program to deal with anger. >> and we have the run. thank you, mary jo, and diana.
6:15 pm
the latest in the ben roethlisberger investigation.
6:16 pm
6:17 pm
6:18 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. enough is enough is what dawn branchos family is saying. >> where is the patient located? >> they are at shamu stadium and we have one of the trainers in the water with a whale and the whale she is not supposed to be in the water with. we don't know what is going on, but we were told to have beam on standby when they get the person out. >> that is terrible to listen to. it should end there. why should the public see that video? yes, sea w0r8d needs to see it and experts to learn frit, so, there is not that mistake again, but why do you and i need to see this? we don't need to see the death
6:19 pm
of dawn brancheau on video. the judge agrees granting a temporary injunction to stop the video from being released. the family has a right to privacy and to mourn, and there are a lot of sickos out there to try to send it back to the family to inflict more pain. let's hope it stays under wraps other than seaworld and other experts to see this. if you want to ghent comment, g facebook page. and prosecutors in pittsburgh say they have withdrawn their request from ben roethlisberger. he is accused of assaulting a woman on the morning of february 5th, but they say there is not enough dna to compare, so they won't need it. is he off of the hook? call in and tell hln. back in to talk about former prosecutor and criminal defense attorney mark eiglarsh, and also the writer for the "pittsburgh
6:20 pm
tribune" who has been covering this since it broke. roethlisberger's attorney saying there is not enough dna to confirm? >> well, it was cocorroborated they didn't need his dna, because there is nothing to compare. the young woman was treated at a hospital, and they did a lot of crime scene collection, but they have found that there was no evidence in the case, so far, they have also filed no search warrants seeking any evidence like that, clothing or anything like that. >> mark, what do you make of this? so they withdraw the request for dna? does that mean weak case or not? what are you making of this? >> maybe the exact same reason why you don't dust for fingerprints when you know somebody was wearing gloves. why spend the money, time and energy when you know that there is no alleged dna on her or in her, depending upon the facts are, to then compare to roethlisberger. >> okay. one theory. any other thoughts on that?
6:21 pm
about the dna? because in the sense of what it means for case, weak or strong for the prosecution? >> i have many thoughts. how much time have you got? one of them may be -- >> oh. >>ne of the theories may be if you are ben's camp, hopefully, they find that the victim is not credible. they don't have sufficient evidence and it is any moment they are going to announce they won't go forward and there is no sense spending the time, energy, and money to secure dna. that is what you are hoping if you are with the defense camp. >> carl, what is the latest on the investigation and many people are wondering has ben roethlisberger talked to investigators a second time? >> he has not talked investigators yet. investigators want to talk to him, but he and his attorney have not sat down with them to discuss any of this. so, they will continue with the investigation. there is a full-time team for the georgia bureau of investigation that is meeting on the edge of mill ledgeville and continuing to do this full-time. >> okay. we will continue tho
6:22 pm
investigation and viewers are wondering if he is getting special treatment because he is ben roethlisberger? we will pick up the conversation there. stay with us. )a)a)a)a)a)a)a)a)aa
6:23 pm
6:24 pm
6:25 pm
6:26 pm
6:27 pm
6:28 pm
6:29 pm
6:30 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. this story shocked me. i want to know what you think. a mother near seattle, washington, says the school's health center set up, facilitated her 15-year-old daughter's abortion and without her knowing anything about it. so, mom sends her daughter to school, thinks she's in class, math, science, instead, she's being put in a taxi and shipped off for an abortion. this mom is furious. here's lisa jaffe from our affiliate komo. >> reporter: these books belong to a ballard high honor roll
6:31 pm
student who didn't tell her mom about her morning sickness. >> she took a pregnancy test at school at the teen health center. >> the mom, we'll call jill, gave consent for her daughter to use the services of the ballard teen health center on campus. >> nowhere in this paperwork does it mention abortion or facilitating abortions. >> reporter: she says her daughter who is pro-life, was given a pass, left school alone in a taxi, had an abortion at another location and didn't tell her family. >> we had no idea that this was being facilitated on campus. they just told her that, if she concealed it from her family, it would be free of charge and there would be no financial responsibility. >> reporter: the seattle school district wouldn't comment on camera. they don't run the clinics at high schools. swedish medical center runs the one at ballard and protects the student's privacy. >> signing this paper makes me feel my rights were stripped away. >> reporter: t.j. kos gve administers the programs for the king county staff.
6:32 pm
he says it is always best if parents are involved in their children's health care but says they don't always have a say. >> at any age in the state of washington, a individual can consent to a termination of a pregnancy. >> thanks again to our "prime news" affiliate in seattle for that. hln reached outo the school and the health center. neither got back us to. want to hear from you, your thoughts, 1-877-tell-hln. joining us to talk about this our attorney based in washington state, anne bremner, former prosecutor. this strikes me so wrong, talking about a 15-year-old girl. >> right. >> put in a taxi. by the way the 1year-old girl is pro-life. her mom is pro-choice. her mom should have been in on this, to leave a 15-year-old alone in a taxi like that, they could have had the conversation, they come at it from both sides. she needed mom. we shouldn't be undermining a parent's right and cutting them out of a life-changing decision like this. i just think it is so wrong. >> it is so wrong, i agree you with. the fact you need consent to
6:33 pm
give her an aspirin or treated for flu symptoms but this consent form doesn't say the "a" word abortion but talks about all kinds of things and keep in mind, mike, the consent form is school-based consent. so, i could go on and on but think about this, schools acting -- as a parent and school attendance compulsory with a much higher duty to this child and her family to send her off in a cab by herself to have an abortion and not say anything. they would call her in if she missed class. or science class or p.e. >> you mentioned you need parental consent for vaccinations, to open a bank account, to watch an "rshgts" rated movie, and we'll cut mom and dad out of this? >> people are outraged out here. if you asked 99 people -- or 100 people on the street, 99 would say this is outrageous. where did the school get this wrong, mike? saying, oh, well, she has the right under washington law,
6:34 pm
under initiative 121, does not have parental consent. that begs the issue, as a school-based clinic. >> first off, real quick, who is in trouble? the school or the teen health center or both? >> both but really the school. >> okay. >> because the school, they are working with the clinic but they are still a school. a school is a school is a school. the district has a responsibility to its students and the fact of the matter is to say, you know, we looked at state law and it's okay, it's not okay when they're complicit and they don't get the requisite consent. >> you mentioned -- as a parent, that's who you trust, the school. >> you trust school, the public school, and you give your children up to the school everyday, and you have to. >> you mentioned it, and the mom mentioned it, i believe ads wel, that her mom's okay with even giving her daughter birth control at school, but abortion is not mentioned.
6:35 pm
how much trouble is this school or the health center or both with that fact out there? >> well, you know, i can tell you, i have sued the school district on behalf of sex abuse victims where someone was a pedophile for 30 years, molesting fifth grade girls and nobody said anything. it took a parent to find it out. schools have to be so careful to protect children. abortion is a pretty short word. you talked about any type of treatment for prenatal or in terms of, you know, sexual health are longer words. can you put abortion on it? yes, you can. did they? no. the fact of the matter they said that paragraph would basically address this, i think, is just so wrong and that's why it's so outrageous to so many people, mike. >> bruce is with us in wisconsin. your thoughts on this? >> caller: yes, i am. >> go ahead. >> caller: i think the school and the state of wisconsin is wrong -- or washington is wrong. as far as i know here in the state of wisconsin, this would not have happened. i know the clinics in my area, a child at 15 years of age has to have a parent with them to come in. and this is sickening me that, you know, the school allowed this to happen.
6:36 pm
>> you know, again, we reached out to the school, the teen health center, wanted to get their side. did not get back to us. let me get a couple facebooks, in support of the school. renee writes, laws were not broken, mom will get over it. linda writes, it's sad she felt she couldn't go to her parents to help her and bethany writes if she found a confidant in the school, not her mom, then so be it. you know, i hear that argument, anne, but again this is a 15-year-old. >> right. >> and i believe mom and dad should be in on a conversation like this, especially an abortion that's not mentioned on this document. >> exactly. and it is the school, it's the school, it's the school. if she went out and had an abortion without parental consent under different circumstances we wouldn't have this issue but dealing with a public school and they put her in a cab to get it and it's not in the form we live and die by contracts. this one doesn't indicate abortion is one of the items for which the family and she had consented. >> anne, always good talking with you. >> great to talk with you. thanks. coming up is greed really tearing two sisters apart?
6:37 pm
both ladies in their 80s. there they are. they've been close for seven decades now a half million dollar powerball jackpot is dividing them, dividing their family. hey, the love of money is the root of all evil, huh?
6:38 pm
6:39 pm
6:40 pm
you know, it is said the love of money is the root of all evil. it is playing out between two sisters fighting over a $500,000 lottery jackpot. look at them. one is 84. her sister is 87. they were great friends. seven decades together. they loved to gamble together and drew up a contract vowing to split all winnings, in 1995. in 2004 they had a fight over a $250 loan and stopped talking. a year later, rose and her
6:41 pm
brother hit the jackpot. teresa finds out about it and calls up and says, hey, i want my half. she said we have a contract, rose says, no, you're not getting a dime. the partnership ended with that fight when they stopped talking. now, a judge will decide. what do you think? who should get the money? call in 1-877-tell-hln. back with us, former prosecutor criminal defense attorney mark eiglarsh and defense attorney holly hughes. markings -- mark, i will start with you. theresa wants her share. they have a wrien contract. doesn't she have a good case? >> i think she does. the first thing is, i found out both women were born in a small town called bitterville. >> you're kidding. come on. >> no, i made that up. no, but listen, mike, i don't do any research for this show. but my point is that these women obviously at their mature age have not learned that somehow money is not as significant as an important significant relationship with your sibling.
6:42 pm
i do believe she has a shot. they came up with a contract and there does not seem to be significant evidence that both parties withdrew from the agreement. if one party tears it up, that does not make it law. if that is the case, i would rip up my mortgage right now and tell the wife the great news. >> that is a great point. let me get holly in. the sad point is that $250 was the rout of the argument and the separation. you heard the story, when rose had heart surgery, who visit ee her everyday? teresa. when teresa needed help putting kids through college, who helped? rose. even teresa said i love my sister but obviously they are divided. who has the better case. >> i have to go with the lady who wants the money. the same thing mark just said, if you have a contract with somebody tearing it up doesn't
6:43 pm
matter. say you have a fight with your wife tomorrow, okay, she looks at you and says i want a divorce, i want a divorce and you go, that's fine with me. does that mean you are divorced mike? of course not. you can't say something and think it is all done. papers have to be signed. it has to be modified in writing if the contract was made in writing originally. you need to find out about that. i'm with mark. really if you could nullify a contract by tearing it up, let me go now i'm going to call macy's and mazda and a couple other people and saying guess what i'm really mad at you and i'm going to tear this up and there won't be money forthcoming. >> holly, the argument is that the oral recision because they had a verbal argument over the phone, and rose, who won it, says, theresa, i'm done and i don't want to be your partner anymore, and rose says, fine, rips up the contract, where they are coming up. >> i don't think that will hold weight in a court of law. you have to have a meting of the minds which means both parties have to agree what were you doing? the fact they were mad at each other and threw a couple angry words like a couple of 5-year-olds. am not, am to, buggar. that's how i'm looking at. >> however, a judge, if they wanted to rule, it was the other
6:44 pm
way, could say that, at that moment, although both angry, they had a meting of the minds, and both said to each other, yeah, i'm done with you! we're not -- forgot the contract. i don't want to share anything you with. that's it. and later, one hits the jackpot. >> right. >> spend that money on a spirituality course or something. >> right. >> it is absolutely possible. a judge can say anything they want quite frankly, that's why you go to them, their sandbox and they get to be right. whatever you say you are going to put your argument out and rose will put up an argument and teresa another. technically they could find an oral rescission. >> we have to run. we will see what the judge has to say. i hope they split it three ways, get the brother in and everybody gets a little over $100,000 after taxes. >> sure. >> the two lawyers po-pooing my judgeship. all right. guys, thanks again. coming up, sandra bullock, america's sweetheart, and basically she is in hiding. we will try to update you, and we are getting reports that jesse james, her husband, he is a serial cheater.
6:45 pm
6:46 pm
6:47 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. we have been talking about the chilling rage-filled texts. police in deerfield beach, florida, say a 15-year-old boy is accuseded of brutally beating josie lou ratley, and she is
6:48 pm
clinging to life. now, he texted his friends telling them of his intentions, and you are wondering, couldn't one of the friends stepped up to try to stop this and intervene? but they didn't. then the text the police say he texted to the victim, josie, quote, i'm coming over there and i'm going to snap your neck. that is before the attack. josie, again, 15, clinging to life. thoughts and prayers with her and her family, as we try and make sense of this. not only on prime news, but issues with jane velez-mitchell trying the do the same as we try to figure out what is going on with our kids. i know this story breaks both of our hearts. we atta it from different angles and hard to figure. my oldest son is 14, and i could not imagine that a child who is still a child and who is 15 is texting this, and not just to anybody, but to a specific person. what he is going to do, and carried it out, jane. >> it is incomprehensible, and i
6:49 pm
tried to wrap my mind around it, mike and i tried to think of myself when i was 15 years old and i remember a very young teen i went to see a clockwork orange which is an incredibly violent movie and i was so horrified by the violence they walked out in the middle. yet, kids today, that would be quaint for some kids today, because they are subjected to much more graphic sadism and often a man beating up in some woman, and like these saw movies and violent horror flicks, so if they are getting all of that and inundated with the violence is cool and violence as a solution to the problems, and not being taught values, then it is essentially gearing them towards using violence like this as a solution. >> no. >> and i think that also what is going on in the home. we are now learning that the father of this suspect has been arrested 43 times. >> right. there is the role model. the stepfather wasn't much of an influence and sounds like the brother who committed suicide may have been the best father
6:50 pm
figure in his life. you look at, this jane, and you look back and i look back to myself and in the formative years, 13, 14, 15, your body is growing, and as a boy, and i know i was more physical and my son comes up to me and he will push me and we will kind of -- he is becoming a man and i understand that, but you hit it, jane, the trigger that a 15-yeas just unchecked absorbing violence, violence and more violence with no restraining force to help him through it. how do you respond to this? >> i honestly believe -- and the sheriff himself said we are reactive. we can only go out and arrest the suspect. that won't help poor josie who is in a coma right now. he said the solution has to come from the schools and the religious institutions and the home and all the cultural institutions. this is why i've been hammering home we absolutely need to teach kids non-violent conflict resolution as a course in school.
6:51 pm
we also need to offer kids group therapy after school so that they can talk about their problems and their feelings. and they don't have to act on them. what -- what people learn in group therapy is that unpleasant feelings are normal. and once you express them and you share with a group and other people react, that it makes it feel okay or certaly less painful. then you don't have to go out and act on them. but these kids are flying blind. they have no insight into what their own motivations are, their deep-down motivations for what they're doing. and so we need to start really thinking outside the box. some people think that's a crazy idea, but it really isn't. >> no, it's not. i mean, there's a saying that goes that which is most personal is most universal. a lot of boys are going through the puberty years, wondering what's going on in the body, why there's these feelings of aggression and these emotions. hey, walk it with other kids and another male figure in there to
6:52 pm
guide their way. jane, we'll be watching "issues" coming up top of the hour. coming up on this program, the latest on sandra bullock.
6:53 pm
6:54 pm
6:55 pm
6:56 pm
6:57 pm
6:58 pm
6:59 pm

92 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on